Phase angle in chest and abdominal belt bands

Join discussions about the use of our software products in Research.
jsayas

Phase angle in chest and abdominal belt bands

Post by jsayas » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:16 pm

Hello,
In respiratory research (and in sleep medicine) the use of thoracic and abdominal belts to measure respiratory movements is a common tool to assess rib cage and abdominal coordination.
One way to calculate this coordination is using a phase angle, as described here: http://www.prrjournal.com/article/S1526 ... 0/abstract
See the attached picture.
I have search the forums to find a way to calculate it, as described here viewtopic.php?t=18 but it only applies to sinusoidal waves.
I have attached the paper were it is described how to calculate it "Phase angle is thus calculated according to the equation: sinu¼m=s
where m is the line parallel to the abscissa on the RC-ABD plot at one-half the distance between the maximal RC perpendicular
intercept and the origin, and s is the length of a line from the maximal ABD perpendicular intercept minus the origin(Fig.1).
I have notfind the way to use a syntax code for this calculation.
Would you please help me with this issue?
I have post a small sample of a aditch record with both thoracic and abdominal belt bands, with clear phase opposition, in order to see how it could work
Many Thanks in advance
Attachments
Chest abd belts.adicht
(600.5 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
bandas review 2009.pdf
(476.83 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
phase angle.jpg
phase angle.jpg (65.78 KiB) Viewed 279 times

aheinrich

Re: Phase angle in chest and abdominal belt bands

Post by aheinrich » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:46 pm

Hi there,

Thank you for your data file and included information! Unfortunately I cannot help as this is not a software issue. I would advice contacting your local ADInstruments support representative for further assistance: https://www.adinstruments.com/contact

Cheers,
Amy
Amy Heinrich
Software Engineer, ADInstruments, New Zealand