Video Capture error, need help!

Join discussions about the use of our software products in Research.

Video Capture error, need help!

Post by mtymk076 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:46 pm

I am currently running our Vivid E9 into labchart using an epiphan. Our goal is to use the video capture module to capture our images of the internal carotid artery into labchart in sync with our other recording devices. However, we are finding that it is working intermittently. More often than not, after I manually select "start video" and then "stop video" an error message appears (error 0x80004005) and it says that the movie cannot be played. The result is a video file stored with zero data on it. Sometimes the video collection is successful, most times it is not.

has anyone had similar issues? or any suggestions to correct this issue?

Re: Video Capture error, need help!

Post by PWong » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:40 pm

Have you tried logging into Microsoft Windows using an "Administrator" account to use the Video Capture module, and saving your recorded video and LabChart document into your "Documents" folder?

e.g. on Microsoft Windows 7, into the folder "C:\Users\USERID\Documents" (where USERID is your account name). You might be trying to save recorded video into a folder where you do not have the required permissions for saving files (the video you record is first saved to a temporary file, until you save your LabChart document).

If that doesn't work, can I get more details about your software and hardware configuration:

1. What version of LabChart and the Video Capture module are you using?
2. What version of Microsoft Windows are you using, e.g. Windows 7 with Service Pack 1?
3. Which model of the Epiphan Systems hardware device are you using, is it one of the models that support
Microsoft DirectShow (which is needed by the Video Capture module):

Epiphan Systems - Products

4. Have you tried running Windows Update to get the latest updates for Windows, and downloading and installing the latest drivers from Epiphan Systems for your hardware device?

Epiphan Systems - Support

Pete Wong
Software Engineer, ADInstruments, New Zealand

Post by Tactile » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:46 am

I have the same problem.
It usually records video in the first block, but then works sporadically - sometimes it does, other times it doesn't. I get error code 0x80004005 and complaint that temporary file is damaged. Video Liveview in LabChart works continuously no problem.
This error persists in LabChart 7 to the latest version 8.

User permissions seems to be unlikely as it wouldn't explain why it sometimes works and in others doesn't (unless temporary file is generated only in certain situations).

I tried to minimise channel sampling rates and capture quality, it doesn't seem to have any effect.
We are using generic HDMI to USB capture dongle, which shouldn't really matter much as signal obviously is getting through and LabChart sees it in LiveView.

Any help would be appreciated.

Post by aheinrich » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:18 pm

Hi there,

Video Capture does create a temporary file where the location can be found in Video Capture Settings > Cache (usually Users\<your-username>\AppData\Local\Temp), so it is possible that it is trying to access the folder while it is currently being used or is incomplete. I'd try running LabChart as an Admin (right-click LabChart icon and select Run as administrator) as well as checking if there are any files in this temporary folder: C:\Users\<your-username>\AppData\Local\Temp\DocPakFiles\ADInstruments VideoCapture.

Please let me know how this goes!

Amy Heinrich
Software Engineer, ADInstruments, New Zealand

Post by Tactile » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:22 am

Thank you Amy for response and suggestion.

I will certainly try this out.

The logic tell me, though, that unless there is some intelligent trick how LabChart handles temporary files, this can not solve our problem, as it does WORK SOMETIMES. It often works when we first hit "Start" button, then with low probability it more often DOESNT than it DOES sometimes work in consecutive recording blocks. But it does work - sometimes.

If there is problem with permissions, I guess there is something only you know, but you are not telling us, as directory permissions would either work always or never.

Also WEBcam doesn't show the same problems presumably using the same temporary file location.

My guess is that this is most likely LabChart bug caused by erroneous handling of delays in USB input. This problem may be exacerbated with video input capture devices, but note that as I indicated in my initial post, LabChart has no problem displaying uninterrupted video input in LiveView.

Your comments would be very much appreciated as this is crucial feature determining whether we can use LabChart.